the word Lucan in the mastheadthe word newsletter in the mastheadtransparent filler image
Published weekly
link to home page link to main Sport page page link to GAA page link to Sports round-up page link to Local news page link to Parish page link to Politics page link to Community notes page link to Schools page link to Regulars page link to Birdie page link to Letters page link to Anniversaries page link to Lost and found page link to Features page link to Local interest page link to Stories/poems page link to History page link to Archive page link to Links page

Old Businesses!

If Lucan Newsletter had been around in the 1940s, these may well have been some of our advertisements.

Old Advertisements

J. Collins & Sons Victuallers, came to Lucan just after 1916, and under the care of Niall Collins, they are still providing the best of meat to Lucanians.

Old Advertisements

M.H.Lynch - Harry Lynch and his family were here in the 1940s.
Their catchphrase was:
Rationed Goods are in demand,
Quality is rare
Come to LYNCH'S next time,
You're sure to find them there.

- a clue to the difficult times of the 1940s when everything was in short supply due to WW2. These days, Tommy Lynch is the Captain of that ship!

Old Advertisements

J.Bourke of The Medical Hall. Mr. Bourke is long gone, but the premises still operates as a chemist under the Griffin Family who came to Lucan in the early 1960s.

Old Advertisements

Giltraps of Lucan was another great establishment it was on the site of La Banca Restaurant, and features in some of the old postcards from the early 1900s, with its rooftop conservatory displaying very colourful geraniums. For a time, the building was home to the Lucan branch of the Ulster Bank.

Old Advertisements

M. O'Neill and Sons was a few doors down from Lynch's. These days, the family still has business in Lucan with Gerry O'Neill running the Lucan Inn.

Old Advertisements

And if you wanted a new bicycle or wireless, or repairs to either, Patrick Cormack's on Sarsfield Terrace, was the place to go, just beside Hanbury Lane.

M.M. (Ref. The Premier Cinema Souvenir Programme 1945