the word Lucan in the mastheadthe word newsletter in the mastheadtransparent filler image
Published weekly
link to home page link to main Sport page page link to GAA page link to Sports round-up page link to Local news page link to Parish page link to Politics page link to Community notes page link to Schools page link to Regulars page link to Birdie page link to Letters page link to Anniversaries page link to Lost and found page link to Features page link to Local interest page link to Stories/poems page link to History page link to Archive page link to Links page

Lucan Village 1954

book cover

The village more than sixty years ago was captured by Holly Exley, who lived in Ardgarth House at the time – the house next door to the Muintir na Tire Hall.

The buildings from left to right are: The Royal Bank of Ireland, Lynch’s Grocery Shop, with the Sweet Shop next door, the latter only open on Sundays when the Grocery Shop was closed. Next is Saunders Newsagents, with O’Neill’s Shop and private residence beside it, then Lynch’s Drapery Shop – who remembers the Barber Shop behind this, and the Hairdresser upstairs! O’Neill’s Pub – The Lucan Inn – is visible just behind the old bus shelter, with a well-kept village green in the foreground.

The population of Lucan Town at the time was about 1,400 souls.